Edelbrock Community Forum  

Go Back   Edelbrock Community Forum > Non EFI Forums > Nitrous Systems and Components

Old 04-09-2012, 09:19 AM

Default Just tried out my Performer kit. Questions

I got to make my first two nitrous passes Saturday. Looks like all the nitrous guys were right. I'm hooked! Picked up 4 tenths on a hundred shot. Made two passes n/a and went 6.42 both times. Turned the juice loose and went 6.05 (hit the high side chip and got out of it, killed 8mph) Then went 6.012 on a full pass.

Now I have tuning questions. I have a 3 stage retard. I run one circuit for the nitrous retard and the other for a high gear retard. My 70050 kit is one of the older ones that doesn't have the updated jetting map. A 100 shot is 61/55 instead of 57/57, 150 shot is 71/66 instead of 68/68. Certainly no big deal, but as you can see the older settings are a little richer.

So here is my question: Since my older jetting set up is slightly richer; I was thinking of going with 4deg in low gear (pg) and then bringing in the remaining two degrees in high gear on a 150 shot. Seems safe to me, but I'm a newbie.

Set up is 10:1 sbf, 6.5 lbs fuel press., fuel system up front.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:16 AM

Sounds to me like your over thinking the timing. In most cases we have always had the best luck just running a single step retard. Typically if you can make it all the way thru low gear with "X" amount of retard, you'll make it the rest of the way..

As for the jetting, if you go up 50 HP, just pull another 2-3 degrees and read your plugs again. It's most important to work with the timing and learn where the engine really needs to be on each tune..

As for the tunes, you can likely start by dropping the fuel jet about 6-8 numbers easy to help clean up the tunes. We blueprint and flow these system all the time when we set them up for our customers. Most are really surprised when they see the jetting we use when setting the nitrous to fuel ratio's correctly. The jet spreads get REALLY BIG !!

Hope this helps.. SJ
www.InductionSolutions.com
Old 10-23-2012, 11:35 AM

thanks for the help Steve. Sorry so belated on the response. i haven't visited this forum in a while now. So i can step down the fuel jet 6-8 sizes with no problems? i imagine that would pick up the et quite a bit too? I've just been going by the jet maps with my kit so far. I knew they would be "fat biased" so to speak, but i didn't realize it would be that fat. Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:09 AM

No problem.. Good luck.. SJ
www.InductionSolutions.com

Tags
70050, performer, sbf